The blues went through as group winners despite losing two of their six matches, and could have faced Atletico Madrid, Inter Milan, Villareal, Red Bull Salzburg, or Benfica for a place in the quarter final.
The redone draw was as follows:
- Salzburg vs Bayern Munich
- Sporting Lisbon vs Manchester City
- Benfica vs Ajax
- Chelsea vs Lille
- Atletico Madrid vs Manchester United
- Villarreal vs Juventus
- Inter Milan vs Liverpool
- PSG vs Real Madrid
Sporting Lisbon will provide last year’s runners up with a stern test after the Spanish side finished second in their group.
After losing the final last season, City will be eager to go all the way this season. And supporters on social media with their opponents for the Round of 16.
The first legs are scheduled for 15/16/22/23 February, with the second legs on 8/9/15/16 March. Kick-offs are at 20:00 GMT
City fans were more than happy with the end result, with many believing they’ve been handed an easier tie this time around.
Here’s what some City fans had to say on Twitter…
EASIER DRAWWWW— h (@BernardoS1Iva) December 13, 2021
Yesss— Pochden ⁴⁷ ™ (@alMcFCina) December 13, 2021
That’s better— Nicholas Leow (@NicholasLeow4) December 13, 2021
Let’s go— Trey Ironside (@Trevortr3y) December 13, 2021
Went from good to better— cry more (@cry__more__) December 13, 2021
Better draw than villareal tbf we take it and move could’ve got inter or atletico— 𝙊𝙜𝙗𝙚𝙣𝙚 𝙎𝙕𝙉 2️⃣0️⃣ (@OgbeneSZN) December 13, 2021
Hopefully this draw stands for good , still Sporting or Villarreal no club reached round 16 is easy , so we have to prepare well— Tam (@Tam_Corleone_) December 13, 2021
Follow Us on Social media:
- Ferdinand and Neville name Man City star as the ‘only defender’ that can stop Kylian Mbappe
- ‘Plays with an experience that goes beyond his years’ – Rio Ferdinand and Alan Shearer send Jude Bellingham message to Manchester City
- Pep Guardiola insists he feels ‘very good’ at Manchester City after signing a new contract
- Belgians deny dressing-room bust-up after Kevin De Bruyne claim
- ‘I’m not ruling it out’ – Man City transfer boost as director says 22 y/o could leave
- Man City owners poised to announce £114m deal on Saturday to take club to the next level
- England ‘leaked’ XI v Wales: Man City trio involved in World Cup clash