Manchester City fans have been reacting to a post on Twitter which relays a report that claims Raheem Sterling has been offered a new contract, but is considering his future – a situation the club accept.
The England’s current contract at the Etihad expires in 2023, meaning he could begin negotiations about a potential free move away from City in just nine months’ time. He is either expected to renew his deal or to leave in the summer transfer window.
The report claims Man City have agreed to his request to be given time to go through options and what role he has in Pep Guardiola’s plan should he stay.
It is claimed that ‘Sterling grew frustrated in the second half of the last campaign when he did not start some of the big matches’.
The England international also feels that his next move ‘could define his career’. Should he leave City, Sterling wants it to be on a ‘better footing than his £49m departure from Liverpool’.
The report was shared on Twitter by City Xtra and it attracted plenty of attention from the club’s supporters.
“Sounds like a wise decision to me.”
“Wouldn’t really care if he stays or leaves.”
“Hope he stays tbh.”
“Absolutely understandable. Football is a business and Sterling has a career, family and community to consider. Like Mane, Sterling’s gives more than just football plays.”
“Sterling and Bernardo should decide soon because we need time to prepare and give the club time to find new players.”
“They’re going to blame the board for not signing a winger out of the blue when he eventually wastes another 2 weeks thinking only to leave when the window is about to be shut.”
“As much as I think it’s probably the right time for all parties, it does feel like one we could regret if we let him go. RW Sterling with a number 9 to work off can be unstoppable on his day. He just struggles in a false 9 formation where he’s often asked to be the focal point..”
Follow Us on Social media:
- WATCH: Pep Guardiola LAUGHS when asked about Man United’s start to the season
- Man City boss Guardiola says single Champions League trophy ‘nothing special’
- Man City announce new club captain for the season after player vote
- Man City have now held talks with Chelsea over ‘world-class’ £250k-a-week player
- Pep Guardiola gives Man City injury update with four players out
- Dazzling Jeremy Doku explains what he’s learned so far at Man City
- ‘Desperate for that move’, ‘Hopefully we go for him again’ – Man City fans react as Paqueta makes transfer dream clear