After being suspended for England’s UEFA Nations League defeat to Italy on Friday, Stones was selected in a back three alongside Eric Dier and Harry Maguire in Monday’s contest at Wembley.
However, the defender only lasted 37 minutes before he had to be replaced by Man City teammate Kyle Walker due to an injury issue.
The 28-year-old was attempting to support an England counter-attack when he pulled up with what appeared to be a hamstring problem.
Both England and Man City will wait nervously for further medical examination to establish the extent of the injury.
Stones has appeared in seven games for Man City this season, while he has also chipped in with one goal and two assists.
The news was shared on Twitter by City Xtra and it attracted plenty of attention from the club’s supporters.
“Huge blow for City. Hope he recovers soon.”
“i hate international break..”
“One of the reasons they bought Akanji, like Pep said, Stones and Ake aren’t reliable.”
“Manuel Akanji proving to be a pivotal signing with every passing day , facts.”
“Not looking good, Smart Txiki for getting us Akanji.”
“if we didn’t have Akanji I would’ve gone insane.”
“The Akanji signing was a stroke of genius..”
“Getting Akanji proving more and more to be a masterstroke right now, we seem to be unlucky with injuries to CBs but fortunately we have more than enough cover, probably Akanji Dias for the derby now.”
Follow Us on Social media:
- Ferdinand and Neville name Man City star as the ‘only defender’ that can stop Kylian Mbappe
- ‘Plays with an experience that goes beyond his years’ – Rio Ferdinand and Alan Shearer send Jude Bellingham message to Manchester City
- Pep Guardiola insists he feels ‘very good’ at Manchester City after signing a new contract
- Belgians deny dressing-room bust-up after Kevin De Bruyne claim
- ‘I’m not ruling it out’ – Man City transfer boost as director says 22 y/o could leave
- Man City owners poised to announce £114m deal on Saturday to take club to the next level
- England ‘leaked’ XI v Wales: Man City trio involved in World Cup clash