Nathan Ake’s second-half strike saw Manchester City beat Premier League title rivals Arsenal 1-0 in the FA Cup fourth round.
Stefan Ortega started in goal for the hosts as one of two changes from the side who beat Wolves 3-0 in the Premier League at the weekend.
Nathan Ake came in for Aymeric Laporte but Joao Cancelo, Kyle Walker and Bernardo Silva were all among the substitutes for a third game running while Phil Foden remained out through injury.
The visitors had the bulk of the chances in the first half but despite this, neither of the two sides could find a way through and went into the break goalless.
City made the breakthrough in the 64th minute. Julian Alvarez, just on as a substitute, struck a shot against the post from distance.
Jack Grealish collected the loose ball and, after twisting and turning, played it back to Nathan Ake who slotted home a shot inside the far post.
The result sees City maintain their perfect FA Cup run this campaign, having already beaten Chelsea in the previous round at the Etihad Stadium.
Here’s what Man City fans have been saying on Twitter about the result and performance:
@ftblyousef_: “HUGE WIN, GET IN 💙 ”
@Sterling_777: “Great win, but we shouldn’t get carried away!.”
@keelan_philpott: “WE NEEDED THAT.”
@mcfcEze: “Not a convincing win but will take it either way”
@Abu___Asad: “Not a vintage performance but I’ll take it. 1-0 against an energetic and in-form arsenal is a good psychological boost for our boys. We’ve beat Chelsea, spurs and arsenal recently despite been not at our best. Rodri is a baller. Wow!”
@its_ollix: “Great team performance it was nice to see the long ball being used and being effective. thought our entire backline were excellent not sure how we can do it but got to find a way to start Alvarez every week he offers that something different..”
@Tam_Corleone: “Great job guys ! Nathan you are amazing! And Ortega had his game today , hopefully this defeat will effect Arsenal in the league, c’mon City ! ”
@lutando_ndeleni: “Not a great game but what matters we move to the next round. Ake is my man of the match. Rodri was solid in the second half. Ortega is good with hands can’t say the same with with foot, his long balls are annoying at times”
@CallumCroms: “All the respect in the world to Ake and Ortega tonight , defensively we did really well! But need to be much more clinical in the final third but all in all we showed em!!!”
Follow Us on Social media:
- ‘Not again!’, ‘Keep him away’ – Man City fans react as Journo drops transfer update on Mason Mount
- ‘If Pep wants him get him’, ‘Would be a massive signing’ – Man City fans react as club pushing to sign €40m ‘amazing’ midfielder
- ‘Bring him here Txiki’, ‘The Next John Stones!’ – Man City fans react as Sheffield United star reveals desire to play for the club in future
- ‘Surely he’s coming’ – Man City fans react as Josko Gvardiol reveals conversation with Pep Guardiola
- ‘Good!’, ‘Would’ve been stupid if we did’ – Man City fans react to club’s stance on Kalvin Phillips
- ‘Bring him home’, ‘He wants to come back’ – Many Man City fans excited with new Leroy Sane update
- ‘Hold that Madrid’ – Man City fans react as Erling Haaland’s stance on “dream” Real Madrid transfer emerges