Alvarez took City’s penalty in the first half following Kai Havertz’s blatant handball inside Chelsea’s area.
But as he was preparing to take the spot kick, Kepa Arrizabalaga tried to copy the penalty mind games of Emi Martinez. He stood a yard away from the ball and began to speak with Alvarez.
The Chelsea goalkeeper dived the right way for Alvarez’s effort but the World Cup winner still managed to score with his effort which doubled City’s lead.
When asked about Kepa’s words before his penalty, Alvarez told ESPN Argentina: ‘The goalkeepers always try to do their thing, it doesn’t bother me at all.
‘I try to be focused on my job. I had already decided which way I was going to shoot and well, it was a goal.’
Meanwhile, BBC presenter Gary Lineker described Kepa as a ‘pound shop Emi Martinez’ in reference to Argentina’s goalkeeper who played several mind games during the World Cup final shootout against France.
When watching the replay of Kepa’s exchange with Alvarez at half-time, Lineker said: “What about this… I think Alvarez is probably saying, ‘mate, I’ve just won a gold medal at the World Cup, I’m not worried about you’.’
Micah Richards, who was working as a pundit for the game, replied: ‘Not quite Emi Martinez, is he?’, Lineker then added: ‘Pound shop Emi Martinez.’
Follow Us on Social media:
- Stefan Ortega opens up on behind-the-scenes struggles at Man City
- Man City CEO clarifies Pep Guardiola comments over Barcelona return
- ‘He controlled him’: BBC pundit and Former Man City duo amazed by how Nathan Ake dealt with ‘in-form’ Arsenal star
- Jurgen Klopp admits Liverpool’s “embarrassing” dominance with Man City is over
- The reason Bukayo Saka was flagged offside despite not interfering vs Man City but Marcus Rashford wasn’t
- ‘Irreplaceable’ Arsenal midfielder doubt for title showdown with Man City after suffering rib injury
- Man City given unexpected Maximo Perrone transfer boost