Many clubs were linked with a move for the Portugal legend including Manchester clubs City and United.
The Portuguese striker appeared on the brink of joining City in 2021 before doing a U-turn and rejoining Manchester United.
According to reports in Spain, Ronaldo’s move to City failed to materialise after Sterling couldn’t agree terms on a move to La Liga side Barcelona.
Though Sergio Aguero joined Barcelona on a free transfer, Sterling did not complete a move to join him despite groundwork being laid for the transfer.
Whether or not a Sterling move to Barcelona really would have unlocked a Ronaldo transfer to City, the striker decided to make a sensational return to Old Trafford by signing for United.
The Portuguese legend delighted the Old Trafford crowd by scoring twice in his first game back against Newcastle United. He went on to score 18 Premier League goals but couldn’t help United finish in the Champions League spaces.
In the 22/23 season, Ronaldo’s relationship with United turned bitterly sour after his explosive tell-all interview with Piers Morgan, on which he blasted the club, former manager Ralf Rangnick, current boss Erik ten Hag and ex-teammates Wayne Rooney and Gary Neville.
As a result, his contract was mutually terminated in November. Earlier this month, it was confirmed that Ronaldo had signed for Saudi Arabian side Al Nassr.
A different story has previously been told regarding Guardiola’s feelings on Ronaldo.
The Athletic reported ‘senior sources at the Etihad’ believed that if Ronaldo joined, Guardiola would have left the club before the end of his then-contract in 2023.
Guardiola has since signed a renewed deal until 2025.
Follow Us on Social media:
- Man City tipped to follow Real Madrid’s example to become Champions League dynasty
- Pep Guardiola details how Liverpool can challenge Manchester City for Premier League
- WATCH: Pep Guardiola LAUGHS when asked about Man United’s start to the season
- Man City boss Guardiola says single Champions League trophy ‘nothing special’
- Man City announce new club captain for the season after player vote
- Man City have now held talks with Chelsea over ‘world-class’ £250k-a-week player
- Pep Guardiola gives Man City injury update with four players out