The 22-year-old was one of the breakout stars of the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar and has since been attracting strong interest from some of the biggest clubs across Europe, with Chelsea, La Liga giants Barcelona and Real Madrid among his admirers.
Fernandez joined Benfica on a five-year deal last summer and has gone on to make 28 appearances in all competitions, scoring four goals with seven assists.
Pep Guardiola has reportedly requested the signing of the 22-year-old after he impressed at the World Cup, but it remains to be seen if they’ll make a move.
The Portuguese outfit do not intend to make it easy for any suitors to sign up the Argentine and are reportedly demanding that his entire €120 million release clause amount be paid.
The Argentine is a brilliant midfielder, boasting more tackles (2.4) in the Primeira Liga than any City player this season while only two of Guardiola’s men have more interceptions, but City surely aren’t going to sign him unless an existing player leaves.
The report shared on Twitter gathered a number of replies from a wide range of Man City supporters.
“Will never understand how they didn’t go after him when he was available for like £20m. Insane.”
“Should have signed him last summer. Missed opportunity. We were linked as well. However, this is a transfer I can get behind👌.”
“We should have signed him when he was worth £15M….”
“Either Jude or Enzo, no sense bringing them both in when we’ve got Maximo. And looking at the price Benfica want for Enzo, Jude looks to be the better option.”
“Rather go for Jude for that price.”
“Just sign jude and another winger.”
Follow Us on Social media:
- Man City tipped to follow Real Madrid’s example to become Champions League dynasty
- Pep Guardiola details how Liverpool can challenge Manchester City for Premier League
- WATCH: Pep Guardiola LAUGHS when asked about Man United’s start to the season
- Man City boss Guardiola says single Champions League trophy ‘nothing special’
- Man City announce new club captain for the season after player vote
- Man City have now held talks with Chelsea over ‘world-class’ £250k-a-week player
- Pep Guardiola gives Man City injury update with four players out