Arteta worked under Guardiola at City for three years between 2016 and 2019 – before he left for the top job at the Gunners. And speaking ahead of the pair’s reunion, Guardiola said: “Always he jumps and celebrates, except one team.
“One team every time we score a goal I jump, come back he was sitting there. It was Arsenal. I said that guy likes Arsenal.”
And now a video has been doing the rounds on social media showing Arteta’s muted reaction when Raheem Sterling scored against Arsenal in December 2016.
— َ (@zak_afc) January 26, 2023
Theo Walcott had broken the deadlock in the Etihad encounter in the fifth minute, before Leroy Sane equalised for the hosts just after the break.
And Sterling then fired the Citizens into the lead in the 71st minute, which proved to be the winner.
The camera panned to Guardiola where he was seen reacted wildly, before gesturing towards his bench as City coaches rose to their feet to celebrate.
But Arteta remained sitting in his seat – unfazed and unmoved by the goal as he simply shook the hand of a fellow coach.
However, just because Arteta liked Arsenal it didn’t stop him from being ruthless against the Gunners.
Arteta masterminded a City win over Arsenal in 2018, when Guardiola had seemingly run out of ideas.
Guardiola had instructed Arteta to ‘forensically’ analyse Arsenal before the game, and it was Arteta that spotted a tactical weakness at half-time. Shortly after the break, Bernardo Silva broke the deadlock, causing Guardiola to go running over to Arteta.
City eventually won the game 2-0 – and Guardiola credited Arteta with the win.
Arsenal are currently flying high at the top of the Premier League, five points ahead of City with a game in hand.
However, the two sides are yet to face each other in the league this season – and they will have a dress rehearsal for their crunch clash in the FA Cup on Friday.
Follow Us on Social media:
- WATCH: Pep Guardiola LAUGHS when asked about Man United’s start to the season
- Man City boss Guardiola says single Champions League trophy ‘nothing special’
- Man City announce new club captain for the season after player vote
- Man City have now held talks with Chelsea over ‘world-class’ £250k-a-week player
- Pep Guardiola gives Man City injury update with four players out
- Dazzling Jeremy Doku explains what he’s learned so far at Man City
- ‘Desperate for that move’, ‘Hopefully we go for him again’ – Man City fans react as Paqueta makes transfer dream clear