The Norwegian striker continued his fine debut season in England by netting his sixth hat-trick for the Cityzens on Saturday evening.
That haul meant Haaland joined Messi as the only two players to have scored five goals in the knockout stages of the Champions League.
While the 22-year-old went in search of a double hat-trick, Guardiola substituted him with just under half an hour to play, prompting conspiracy theories on social media that this was to preserve Messi’s place in the record books.
Guardiola hauled Haaland at a similar point during Man City’s demolition of Burnley, and speaking to the media post-match, appeared to recognise what had been said about his relationship with Messi earlier this week.
“Eight goals in four days. I played 11 years in Barcelona and scored 11 goals!” Guardiola began.
“He did it. It’s incredible. I made a substitution to him at three goals to not break the record to Messi in the FA Cup.”
These Guardiola’s comments were shared on Twitter by City Xtra and it attracted plenty of attention from the club’s supporters.
@ErlingEuphoria: “He’s listening to us”
@HopeMasilela20: “Pep is actually listening.”
@1Lvgend: “This mans hilarious.”
@Emerald_mf: “Telling the media what they want to hear 😂😂”
@Samzii_: “He’s 1000% on twitter”
@CurtSimp88: “This man was straight onto City Twitter after the RBL game. I’m convinced.”
@crewIovers: “This man really says whatever is on his mind, no media training whatsoever.”
Follow Us on Social media:
- Find the perfect chat team for you
- Pep Guardiola has ‘hope’ over Man City star fitness ahead of Nottingham Forest
- Getting Laid in Bangkok – the best places to choose and Date Girls
- Exploring the pros and cons of interracial dating
- From Fabrizio Romano: English midfielder set to join Man City following West Ham exit
- Find locals for sex – the best way to hook up tonight
- Manchester City fans respond angrily as Red Star supporters wave money at thҽm